If you are not using shopping apps for your groceries or online shopping, you are seriously leaving money on the table! Since I started using sites like Ebates.ca and Swagbucks.com, I’ve made over $3000 in free cash! My only regret is not starting to use these sites and apps much sooner.
This page contains affiliate links meaning I earn a commission if you use those links. I only recommend brands I use and trust.
The awesome thing about shopping apps is that is quite a lot available in Canada. Some like Caddle are exclusively Canadian while others like Swagbucks.com are open to shoppers Worldwide. No one app will cover all your bases so it’s worth checking out a few and choosing the ones that best suit your shopping habits.
Tips for using shopping apps
- Get to know the offers. For example, I know that Checkout 51 often has Pampers Diapers on offer so I wait until it comes up then stock up until the next time (I think it is roughly monthly and coincides with the P & G coupon flyer in my newspaper)
- Combine offers to get the most money. Make an Amazon.ca purchase and use Ebates for cash back. Then use the packing slip for Checkout 51 or Caddle. Even more awesome if you use this trick to get a free product from SmartSaver.ca.
- Use the same receipt on more than one app. Cross check your offers to see if the same thing is offered across Checkout 51, Caddle and Zweet. You can submit the same receipt to all three companies!
The Best Shopping Apps in Canada
I love Checkout 51, I’ve made over $200 in less than 6 months using this app. It’s really easy to use, each Thursday they upload new offers and you highlight the ones you might use in your shopping list. Once you are done shopping, you simply upload your receipt to the app and mark which products you purchased. Within 48 hours (but normally 1-2 hours) you will get your cash back!
The really amazing thing about Checkout 51 is that you can often use it with coupons (make sure to check the fine print) so you can get some amazing deals. For example, there are sometimes rebates of up to $5 for Pampers diapers. I also love that there are even offers for fruits and vegetables, not just convenience food.
- New offers come out on Thursdays and are valid until the following Wednesday
- The payment threshold is $20 and they pay by cheque (CAD).
- Make sure to check your offers as some are only valid for certain stores (Walmart, Sobeys etc)
- Some offers only have a limited number available so they may expire before the week is up.
- Checkout 51 does not work for store in Quebec
Top Checkout 51 Tip: They accept Amazon packing slips! Combine with Ebates and Amazon Family for amazing rebates.
You may have heard of Caddle because it was featured on Dragon’s Den a while ago. Their app is really successful and gets great reviews. The thing I like about Caddle is that they have great offers for online stores such as $10 for a purchase at well.ca.
There are two ways to earn cash with Caddle:
- The standard cash back way of uploading your receipt and choosing your offers
- Completing surveys, watching videos and engaging with brands
Because of the second option, Caddle is kind of hybrid between Swagbucks and Checkout 51.
- Payout threshold is $20 and payment is by cheque (CAD)
- Offers are valid for one week
- Online purchases are eligible as long as the itemized packing slip is included.
I love GCR! They work in exactly the same way as Ebates.ca, meaning you go to their website, choose the merchant and click through to the website. You then get paid a % cash back from your purchase. I find that GCR often has much higher payouts than Ebates.ca so it is definitely worth checking.
- Make sure to check their category for credit cards if you are in the market for a new one. I got $75 cash back when I applied for my Mastercard to use at Costco.
- Payment methods are Amazon, cheque or PayPal. Payment is monthly.
Zweet works in exactly the same way as Checkout 51 does. You shop, upload your receipt and receive cash back for your purchases. Sometimes they have the same offers as Checkout 51 does so you can double dip which is awesome.
- New offers come out on Wednesdays and are valid until the following Tuesday
- The payment threshold is $20 and they pay by cheque (CAD).
- You can combine the offers with coupons unless otherwise specified.
They accept online packing slips as long as they are itemized.
Don’t forget to combine with Ebates or Swagbucks for extra savings.
Stores that include itemized slips include:
- Grocery Gateway
Ebates is the most well known of the shopping rebate sites. They have partnerships with over 2000 major retailers like Amazon, Sephora, Indigo, Hudson’s Bay, Walmart and even eBay. To earn your rebate, you simply choose the retailer from the Ebates website, click through and then shop normally.
- Ebates will track your purchase and credit you within 24 -48 hours.
- Rebates range from 1-40% and make sure you look out for bonuses each week for certain stores.
- You can choose to receive your rebate as PayPal cash or a cheque.
Swagbucks.com is kind of a hybrid as it is often thought of as a survey site but I have found that I’ve earned some of my largest cash back offers from Swagbucks, especially using my hack (see below). The deal with Swagbucks is that you earn points (bucks) that you can redeem for gift cards or PayPal cash.
Right now Swagbucks has a bonus welcome offer of $10 just for signing up and completing a shopping offer so it is definitely worth checking out!
I normally redeem my SBs for Amazon.ca gift cards and then make a purchase using my gift card but make sure to use Ebates first. It’s a never-ending circle of free money!
If you are interested in diving deep into Swagbucks and learning how I make over $100 a month easily, this post will show you – SwagBucks: The Definitive Guide.
There are two main ways to get cash back on Swagbucks:
- Either through their “Shop & Earn” program, which works much the same as Ebates except you get a number of Swagbucks per dollar spent instead of a %. The payout does take a while, sometimes up to 30 days.
- The second, and often more lucrative way, is to check out the “Discover” section of the dashboard and look for retailers under the partner sites. You can normally filter to see the shopping offers.
An offer I currently take advantage of almost monthly is the cash back for Aliexpress. I sometimes end up getting items for free because of the great rebate through Swagbucks. You can find this offer under Discover>Trial Pay> shopping. There are normally offers for both French and English speakers. You can do both separately to get double the money!
Top Swagbucks Tip: Always compare Swagbucks with Ebates before making a purchase. Even if you have no intention of doing surveys, Swagbucks may be the best option to make cash back.
More ways to make extra cash!
Create the perfect pin in minutes!
How I get over 75,000 page views a month from Pinterest
Learn all the tricks to designing a viral pin for free!