Have you jumped on the cash back bandwagon yet? If not, you are seriously missing out!
I’ve been a member of Ebates for years but only recently discovered all the apps and other rebates programs out there.
Would you believe that using one of them alone, I’ve made over $250 in the last 8 months? Just from my usual shopping! It’s crazy how much money I was leaving on the table.
This page contains affiliate links meaning I earn a commission if you use those links. I only recommend brands I use and trust.
Today I want to break down some of the most popular rebate programs as well as some of those that you might not have heard of. I do think it’s worth joining a few different ones, firstly, because they often have bonuses when you sign up and secondly because they all work with different stores.
Online Shopping Rebates
Rebate websites typically all work the same. Instead of going directly to the merchant’s website to shop, you start at the rebate website and use their link to take you to the retailer. They are paid a referral fee from the merchant which they share with you in the form of cash back.
It’s now second nature for me to check the rebate sites before any online shopping.
I’ve made over $3000 in the last 3 years just from taking the time to make one extra click before shopping, totally free money!
Ebates is the most well known of the shopping rebate sites. They have partnerships with over 2000 major retailers like Amazon, Sephora, Walmart and even eBay.
- To earn your rebate, you simply choose the retailer from the Ebates website, click through and then shop normally. Ebates will track your purchase and credit you within 24 -48 hours.
- Rebates range from 1-40% and make sure you look out for bonuses each week for certain stores.
- You can choose to receive your rebate as PayPal cash or a check.
I also recommend adding the handy “Cash Back button” to your browser so you get your rebate even if you forget to click on Ebates (I’ve forgotten and been so annoyed with myself for not getting the cash back).
I really try and play the Ebates game so I often buy my diapers and other baby items using Amazon Family for the subscribe and save discounts but I use Ebates first so I can get even more of a discount.
If you are not a member of Amazon Family you can get a 30-Day Free Trial to see if you like it before committing. You get discounts on key products that families use a lot such as diapers and wipes.
Top Ebates tip: Use Ebates to buy gift cards and earn cash back on cash!
BeFrugal works very similarly to Ebates. You sign in or use their toolbar, choose the store and click through to shop as you normally would.
- They feature over 5000 retailers such as hotels.com, Macy’s, Target and Groupon.
- Cashback ranges from 1-40%
- you have the option of PayPal, check or an Amazon Gift card. If you choose Amazon, you get an extra 3% back so it makes sense to go that route and save even more money!
- Be Frugal also combines coupons and cash back so that you get the maximum discount possible.
Top BeFrugal Tip: If you find an online coupon that doesn’t work, tell them about it within 24 hours and get $5 added to your account.
The main draw of TopCashBack is that the rebates are pretty much the highest in the country, nearly always better than Ebates. They feature many of the same stores so it is definitely always worth checking a couple of them to make sure you are getting the most for your money.
- There is also no minimum to withdraw your cash back unlike the other sites
- They offer the bonus 3% if you choose an Amazon Gift card for your redemption.
TopCashBack Tip: They do have a cash back matching program – if you see the cash back for more on any of the other websites such as Ebates or BeFrugal.
Swagbucks.com is kind of a hybrid as it is often thought of as a survey site but I have found that I’ve earned some of my largest cash back offers from Swagbucks, especially using my hack (see below). The deal with Swagbucks is that you earn points (bucks) that you can redeem for gift cards or PayPal cash.
Right now Swagbucks is offering a $10 bonus just for signing up and completing your first shop so it is definitely worth joining now!
I normally redeem my SBs for Amazon.ca gift cards and then make a purchase using my gift card but make sure to use Ebates first. It’s a never-ending circle of free money!
If you are interested in diving deep into Swagbucks and learning how I make over $100 a month easily, this post will show you – SwagBucks: The Definitive Guide.
There are two main ways to get cash back on Swagbucks:
- Either through their “Shop & Earn” program, which works much the same as Ebates except you get a number of Swagbucks per dollar spent instead of a %. The payout does take a while, sometimes up to 30 days.
- The second, and often more lucrative way, is to check out the “Discover” section of the dashboard and look for retailers under the partner sites. You can normally filter to see the shopping offers.
You can normally filter to see the shopping offers. For almost a year, Old Navy was offering over $5 cash back for every purchase over $50 on TrialPay.
An offer I currently take advantage of almost monthly is the cash back for Aliexpress. I sometimes end up getting items for free because of the great rebate through Swagbucks.
Cash back Apps
Apps are a bit newer than the website model but, in my opinion, they may be more rewarding.
There are two basic models – the straightforward cash back ones where you upload your receipt after grocery shopping and you get cash rebates for certain products. The product list changes each week.
With the second type of app, you can earn money by doing tasks, surveys, and videos in addition to getting cash back for your shopping. Some of these apps won’t reveal the cash back incentive to you until you complete the task which can be a bit annoying.
In the last six months, I’ve made over $200 from these apps so I’m not complaining about a little extra legwork.
The really amazing thing about Checkout 51 is that you can often use it with coupons (make sure to check the fine print) so you can get some amazing deals. For example, there are sometimes rebates of up to $5 for Pampers diapers. I also love that there are even offers for fruits and vegetables, not just convenience food.
- New offers come out on Thursdays and are valid until the following Wednesday
- The payment threshold is $20 and they pay by check.
- Make sure to check your offers as some are only valid for certain stores (Walmart, Target etc.)
- Some offers only have a limited number available so they may expire before the week is up.
Ibotta works in much the same way as Checkout 51 with one caveat; you cannot “unlock” the offers until you complete tasks. To make up for this, the good news is that ibotta has a lot more offers each week than Checkout 51 and sometimes they even have the same offer and you can double dip! The other difference with ibotta is that you have to scan the barcodes of your products to get the cashback so make sure you don’t throw away the packaging!
To make up for this, the good news is that ibotta has a lot more offers each week than Checkout 51 and sometimes they even have the same offer and you can double dip!
The other difference with ibotta is that you have to scan the barcodes of your products to get the cash back so make sure you don’t throw away the packaging!
Ibotta works in over 300 stores across the USA including Target, Kroger, Whole Foods and Walmart.
Top ibotta Tip: If you want to skip the receipt uploading, link your store loyalty card to the app and they will match your purchases for you! It doesn’t get easier than that.
Get $10 just for signing up with ibotta
Check out my other money making posts!
Create the perfect pin in minutes!
How I get over 75,000 page views a month from Pinterest
Learn all the tricks to designing a viral pin for free!