I honestly cannot remember a time in my life when I didn’t have a side job or ” hustle” to make a little extra income.
If you are looking to make some money on the side, there are tons of options out there that can earn you $100s or even $1000s each month. I’ve personally used side hustles to pay for my wedding, vacations, maternity leaves and more.
This page contains affiliate links meaning I earn a commission if you use those links. I only recommend brands I use and trust.
Why you need a side hustle:
- Pay off debt
- Stay at home with your children
- Build an emergency fund
- Ease money stress caused by potential layoffs and an unstable market
- Go part time at your regular job
- Save for a down payment
- Go on vacation
- Enjoy the holidays without money worries
- Absorb a maternity leave stress-free
- Pay for your kid’s activities and extracurriculars
- Support a family member in need
There are tons of great side income options available, more so now than ever with smartphones and social media. Some don’t even require special skills, just your time and motivation.
80+ Side Hustles You Can Start Today
Working from Home
There are so many opportunities to make money working from home, some a little less legit than others. The ideas below are all genuine work-at-home jobs that can make you a great side income.
- Become a virtual assistant – today’s version of a personal secretary, a VA gets paid to do tasks for bloggers and online businesses. Jobs could include setting up and maintaining social media accounts, editing images and sending emails. I love blog post by VA guru Gina Horkey, takes you through the basics of setting up your own Pinterest VA business.
- Sell printables on Etsy. Learn how to make them easily on PicMonkey in this post: How to Make Printables for Free
- Earn cash and gift cards from the comfort of home by doing online surveys for cash. I earn at least $100 a month from surveys.
Survey sites I like that pay well include:
If you are in Canada, check out this post for a list of high paying survey sites for Canadians.
- If you have marketable skills such as graphic design or computer programming, consider posting on Upwork.com. It’s the largest of the freelance marketplaces and has almost every kind of category.
- Transcription services – Become a medical or legal transcriber. Always in demand, this is a wonderful option for work at home. Janet from Transcribe Anywhere has a great free course to get you started.
- Become an at-home Travel Agent – if you have a passion for travel and good connections, you can make at least $2000 a month as a travel consultant. Check out this post for more information on getting started.
- Tutor children online – tutoring children online is a very lucrative option and the hours are normally first thing in the morning which makes it easy to work around family life. A Bachelors degree is normally required but not a teaching certificate. VIPKid is one of the largest companies hiring native English speakers now.
- Start a Blog – my preferred way of making money. Start up costs are low (under $5!) and some bloggers make upwards of $100K a month! If you have a passion for sharing your views with the world, a blog is a fantastic side hustle. Check out my step by step guide here: Start a Profitable Blog.
- Sell a product you love such as Stella & Dot jewelry. I have a friend who regularly makes over $2000 a month promoting the products at parties and craft sales. Plus she gets to wear fancy jewelry for free! Sign-up to be a Stella & Dot Stylist Today!
- If you have an eye for details, proofreading may be for you! Caitlin from Proofread Anywhere has an awesome free course to get you started.
- If you are not interested in starting a blog but want to make some money on social media, affiliate marketing on Pinterest can be extremely profitable. Check out my post on how to make your first sale in a week: How to use affiliate links on Pinterest and see how Elise made her first sale within 24 hours of implementing her strategy!
- Cookies or cupcakes – if you are a good baker, a side business making cookies or cakes for birthday parties and events can be a nice earner. Make sure to check your local city laws on food preparation businesses before launching.
- Freelancing – if you have a talent for writing, freelancing can be an awesome side earner. This free course by freelancing expert, Gina Horkey, will get you started in the right direction. Gina started freelancing in 2014 and within six months she was making over $4000 a month.
- SwagBucks.com will pay you for watching videos, taking surveys, doing internet searching and playing computer games. Click here to join Swagbucks and check out my in-depth post on how to make the most money possible.
- Get Paid to tweet! Seriously! If you use social media accounts such as Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook, put them to good use and get paid to promote products to your followers. You can seriously make a good income just by tweeting! Sign up with Izea and get started today!
- Before and after school care – many parents are in dire need of quality care before and after school and daycare programs. Expect to provide breakfast, afternoon snack, assist with homework and accompany children to and from school.
- If you are crafty consider setting up an Etsy or Folksy store to sell your wares. Anything from knitting to handmade jewelry and gifts sells well.
- Ebates and BeFrugal – I’ve earned over $3000 in cashback from these two sites. Combine coupons with their % cashback deals to make online shopping more rewarding. Bonus: Get $10 free from each of them just for signing up here: BeFrugal and Ebates.
- Alterations and mending – If you are handy with a needle and thread, this can be a great side hustle. Hemming, mending and simple alterations are all in demand. Make even more if you can embroider – personalized stockings, Easter baskets and more are all really popular.
- Sign up for Fiverr and offer your services for $5. A great place to earn some extra cash for your skills.
- Scoping – scoping is editing court reporter transcripts and is a great way to make extra money from home. The best way to get started is through the course offered by the Internet Scoping School which teaches you everything you know to succeed in this lucrative business.
Side Hustles with flexible hours
- Babysit or nanny – If you love kids, this can be a great option with hours to suit your availability. You may even be able to bring your children with you. Offer your services on Craiglist and Care.com. A great way to earn regular or odd income.
- Drive for Uber or Lyft – all you need is a clean driver’s license, background check, and a clean car! Set your hours and schedule. Sign up here: Uber or lyft
- Companion/Caregiver – elderly citizens are often in need of help getting to the grocery store/doctor’s appointments. Advertise your services on local facebook groups and community centers.
- Jack of all trades – If you are handy, you can earn good money helping with odd jobs and handyman types of work – fixing toilets, moving furniture, laying laminate flooring don’t require much skill.
- Shovel snow – if you live in a snowy area, your services will always be required in the winter making it a great option.
- Drive a school bus – another job where you can often bring your kids as you work.
- Cut lawns – the summer version of shoveling snow. Offer your services for weeding, taking care of flower beds and mulching for extra cash.
- Dog walking – if you are a canine lover, dog walking can be a regular and lucrative side hustle that requires few hours for the money.
- Exercise Instructor – a great job if you can only work evenings and weekends. You normally have to complete an accreditation before you start. Combine your workout and side hustle time!
- Wedding coordinator – One of my favorite side hustles. Different from a wedding planner, a coordinator typically only works the day of the wedding helping to make sure things run to schedule. Tasks often include setting up the decor, liaising with the wedding venue staff and DJ and helping take down everything at the end of the night. Wedding Coordinators in large cities make up to $1200 for a day’s work. Find out more in this post.
- Mystery Shopper – I’ve made $100s from mystery shopping! It’s really kind of fun to go undercover and get paid to shop! I shop for iSecretShop and Reality Based Reports.
- Bartending – You can often get flexible hours in bars or pubs but for even more flexibility, consider signing with an agency that caters events such as weddings and corporate affairs.
- Clean houses – a great option for SAHM who have a few hours a day to clean houses. Earn $50-100 per house.
- Rent out your room on Airbnb and earn extra money when you are away. Use this affiliate link when you sign up and you’ll get $50 off your first booking of $95 or more.
- If you are strong in math or languages, high school children are often in need of tutors, especially around exam time. Lessons normally take place in local libraries or coffee shops.
For even more ideas of ways to make money on the side, check out these posts:
Have you tried one of these side hustles? How did it go for you? Do you have another idea I should add to the list? Let me know in the comments!
Create the perfect pin in minutes!
How I get over 75,000 page views a month from Pinterest
Learn all the tricks to designing a viral pin for free!