Growing demand from countries in Asia and the rest of the World means that opportunities to teach English online are abundant for native speakers.
Teaching English as a foreign language is one of the best jobs I ever had. I taught in both Spain and France and loved every minute of it.
With the rise of the internet, there is now an amazing option for those who love teaching but are looking to stay closer to home. Online teaching via video can be an extremely lucrative and fulfilling job that you can do from the comfort of home.
This page contains affiliate links meaning I earn a commission if you use those links. I only recommend brands I use and trust.
There are quite a few companies that run online English classes but the most established and professional is VIPKID. They are always looking for new teachers and pay up to $22 USD an hour.
VIPKID was founded in Beijing in 2013. They offer fully immersive one-on-one English language instruction to children aged 4-12 years. The majority of the children are from China.
Qualified teachers will sign a 6 month contract with the company and teach English from home via video conferencing using the VIPKID system.
Why is VIPKid Awesome?
- It’s a reputable company that has great financial backing (including Kobe Byrant).
- There are no minimum hours required and you make your own schedule
- You can make up to $22 an hour from the comfort of home
- Online tutoring is one of the fastest growing segments of education
- You can teach English online from anywhere! Many teachers travel full-time and adjust their schedules as they go.
Do I need to be a teacher to apply?
Not necessarily although a college degree (in any subject) is a must.
You don’t need to create your own lesson plans as VIPKID provides materials based on the U.S. Common Core State Standards. Teaching experience is a huge plus and the job is very popular with teachers who would like to make some extra money.
If you are not a school teacher, you must have at least 1 year experience working in a similar field eg. Sunday school, preschool, coaching.
Do I need to know a foreign language?
No. You just need to know English!
The Perfect VIPKID Candidate:
- Has passion for teaching and making learning fun (songs, puppets etc all are part of the classroom at VIPKID)
- Can work from somewhere with a stable internet connection (and own a computer)
- Enjoys working with and learning about other cultures
- Wants a job that you can do from home or anywhere in the World.
- Would like to make some extra money
- Has a Bachelor’s degree (in any subject)
- Is eligible to work in the US or Canada
- Has availability for at least 7.5 hours a week to be booked for classes (there is no minimum but this is the preferred minimum).
- Loves mornings! Although work is available all week, the mornings (US time) are the most popular for class. This makes it the ideal for a stay at home mom to make some money before the kids wake up.
Here are the peak hours for teaching:
How much money can I expect to make?
VIPKID teachers are paid $14-$22 an hour and there is no cap on the number of hours you can work each week. Demand exceeds supply and the company is growing in leaps and bounds.
The hourly rate is made up for a class rate (one class is 25 minutes) and a participation rate that you receive at the completion for each class ($1 or $2 dollars). There are also bonuses for last minute lessons (within 24 hours) and also referral fees if you teach a trial class and the student signs up with VIPKID.
You could easily fill your schedule and make a great income with VIPKID. It’s an awesome opportunity for stay at home moms or anyone with teaching experience who wants some extra cash.
Is it a scam?
VIPKID is very established and most definitely not a scam. It is massive in China and demand is only growing.
- The company has said that it has more than 20,000 teachers delivering lessons to 200,000 paying students from 32 countries.
- You don’t need to pay to sign up or become a teacher
- The application process is quite rigorous and very involved (interviews and experience requirements).
How to apply to VIPKID
You can get started on the application process and learn more about how to teach English online with VIPKID here.
The VIPKID website has a ton of resources including videos and testimonies from existing teachers:
Tresha: This year I taught with VIPKID, and it has been amazing! I get to teach, but I don’t spend hours planning. The curriculum has an engaging scope and sequence. I get to teach students who are dedicated, attentive, and focused!
Donna D: VIPKID is an amazing opportunity for teachers who, like myself, had to take a hiatus for whatever reason, or even for those teachers that want a little extra income on the side.
The application process:
- Complete the application form.
- Video Interview (10 minutes interview and 10 minutes demo lesson)
- Receive training materials and pass quiz
- Schedule mock 1 class (teaching, feedback – approx 1 hour)
- Schedule mock 2 class (not everyone has to do the second class)
More Work at Home Ideas!
Start A Blog That Makes Money
Ready to start a blog and make money from home?
In this FREE 5 day email course, I will show you the exact steps I took to take my mom blog from $0 to a consistent $2000 a month within 4 months.