Have you ever wondered how you can make cute printables to give away on your blog or sell on Etsy?
Selling free printables can be a lucrative side hustle – you can make party printables, invitations, frameable quotes, there are tons of options. If you want to start a blog and make money, printables will help you to attract readers and provide value to your content.
If you do a search on Pinterest, you will see that people are always looking for cute printables for home decor, parties, and weddings. There really are no limits to the kinds of printables you can create to sell. The holidays and year round events are perfect for creating gift tags, planners and greeting cards for your Etsy store.
**** This post has been updated as of 19 September 2017 to reflect Picmonkey’s new plans. You can try a free trial of the paid plan here****
This page contains affiliate links meaning I earn a commission if you use those links. I only recommend brands I use and trust.
I’ve always been interested in making printables for myself and for the kids’ birthday parties but I thought that you had to be a whizz at graphic design.
That was until I discovered a way you can make your own printables without extensive knowledge of a complicated photo editing program! And best of all, it’s really simple to learn and there are endless possibilities of printables to create.
You have probably heard of the photo editing site, PicMonkey, but you may not know that you can create all types of stationery and artwork using their templates or you can upload your own artwork to use.
Picmonkey costs less than $5 a month so completely worth it if you like to edit your own photos, make social media images and, of course, make printables!
It will only take you a few minutes once you get the hang of it and you will be able to make printables for every occasion!
Picmonkey Printable Tutorial
If you have never used PicMonkey, you will be overjoyed when you see their great options for editing photos without having to pay for Lightroom or Photoshop. As a non-professional photographer, I find their site easy and intuitive to use.
It’s worth taking some time to play around with but today I’ll be focusing on the “Design” section of their site which is great for making printables.
- Go to the PicMonkey homepage and select “Design” from the top menu.
2. You will see some options for your design pop up- there are templates for invites etc, blank canvas or custom size. I normally choose a blank canvas in the size that I need.
3. Once you have your size picked out, you can choose your background color for your canvas. Along the left-hand side, you will see a menu with options for cropping, canvas color, text etc.
Choose the color for the printable’s background under “canvas color”
4. Now you can add text and images to suit your design.
For images, have a look at the overlay section which is the butterfly symbol on the left-hand side menu.
5. Add your text boxes, choose your fonts, colors, and sizes.
6. Once your printable is ready, name it and save it to your computer. You can choose to save it as a PNG or JPEG image.
7. If you want to sell your printables on Etsy or make them available to download, you might want to convert them to PDF files using a PDF creator program.
I use PDFForge which is a free download. Once you have it installed, just go to print the document but choose “PDF Creator” instead of your usual printer.
You will also see that the PDF creator will allow you to make the document in various sizes to suit your needs.
8. Save the document onto your computer and you are all done! A printable ready to sell on Etsy or use on your blog!
You Might Also Like:
Create the perfect pin in minutes!
How I get over 75,000 page views a month from Pinterest
Learn all the tricks to designing a viral pin for free!