If you are looking for a great part-time, flexible side hustle you can do while the kids are asleep or at school, tutoring from home might be for you.
Much like teaching English online to foreign students, tutoring one of those side hustles where you can do as many hours as you like on your own schedule.
This post contains affiliate links meaning I make a small commission if you click on some links. Please read my Disclosure for more information.
What is tutoring?
Tutoring means helping students with a range of subjects outside of their regular schooling.
It can mean assisting with coursework or providing extra help with problem areas.
Tutoring is one a classic way to make money that stay at home moms have been doing for years. In fact, I remember my own mother tutoring in our dining room (this was before the internet!) back in the 80s.
With the internet, tutoring as a way to make money on the side is so much easier as you don’t even need to leave the house or have people over!
What is Course Hero?
Course Hero is an online site especially for students. The Course Hero site offers over 25 million course-specific study resources to students who want to supplement their classwork.
The resources on the site are provided by teachers and educators and include practice problems, study guides, videos, class notes, and step-by-step explanations for many different subjects.
In addition to this resource database, Course Hero offers 24/7 tutoring support so that students can get one on one assistance with course work.
What Qualifications Does A Tutor Need?
The good news is that you do not have to be a certified teacher to start work with Course Hero.
The application process does require you to show your expertise in the subject(s) you would like to teach.
In addition, you must:
- Have a Bachelor’s degree to teach with Course Hero
- Be a fluent English-speaker.
- Be based in the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Australia.
5 Reasons Course Hero Is A Great Side Hustle For Moms
- Flexible Hours – tutors are needed 24/7 on Course Hero so you can work whenever you like
- Work from home – No commute, you just need a stable internet connection
- Easy to get started – Unlike other side hustles that require intensive course or expensive start-up fees, you can start working with Course Hero quite quickly.
- Well paid – Top tutors with Course Hero earn an average of $500 per week
- Work Anywhere – As long as you can get online, you can make money with Course Hero. This makes it perfect for vacations or even sitting at the rink during your kid’s hockey game!
A Day In The Life Of A Course Hero Tutor
Course Hero offers on-demand assistance to their student members so every day will be different. Once you have signed up to be a tutor, you can login to the system whenever you are available to work and check what questions are being asked in your subject areas.
Some questions might be quick 5 minute tasks while other times you might be needed for a 1:1 tutoring session to go in depth on a subject.
If multiple tutors are offering help to a student, the student can choose who they would like to work with.
There is a no minimum or maximum number of hours you can work so this makes it a great side hustle for moms who have more time during school days, for example.
What Subjects Are In demand?
- Statistics and Probability
- Computer Science
- US History
Tutoring With Course Hero
1. Sign up at the tutoring section of the Course Hero Website
2. Indicate the subjects you could tutor
You can pick up to 5 subjects to begin with.
Upload your personal info and qualification documents
Finalize your application and wait to be contacted.
How soon can I get started?
It can vary but I was contacted within a few days of signing up on the site. It helps if you have all your documents ready to go before you fill out the form online.